|Minimum Yearly Income||Maximum Yearly Income|
Welcome to the first step in realizing the American dream of homeownership!
Austin Habitat for Humanity does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, age, handicap, relation, marital status, or because all or part of the applicant’s income is derived from public assistance programs.
Austin Habitat takes care of buying and preparing the land, as well as securing the funding for materials and construction of the home. You’ll be amazed and inspired by the community volunteers who come forward to help you build your home!
The homes we build are not free. Each homeowner puts a small amount of cash as a down payment and agrees to work 300 sweat equity hours building homes and volunteering prior to starting construction on your home. Additionally, each homeowner then buys the completed home from Austin Habitat for Humanity with a zero-percent interest fixed rate mortgage for 30 years. (The money from your mortgage will then go back into helping other families like you realize the same dreams and goals!)
To begin the process, we need you to show documentation proving the following are true:
- You are a first time homebuyer or a previous home owner that has not owned a home for the past three years. (Displaced homemakers may qualify.)
- Your family income is 60 percent of the median family income in Austin (see sidebar on this screen).
- Less than 30 percent of your gross annual income will be used to pay the mortgage.
- You are willing to pay a zero-percent fixed rate mortgage loan for 30 years.
- Your credit score is 580 or above.
- Your present living conditions are substandard or renting and that you desire ownership through Austin Habitat for Humanity.
Click on the link for a full list of Austin Habitat for Humanity Qualifying Guidelines.
If you look through the qualifications (upper right chart) and find you don’t qualify, please don’t give up. Give us a call and we can determine if just a few things are needed or you can check other great local resources available to Austin residents.
The selection of families who will purchase homes from Austin Habitat for Humanity will be done in a way that does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, color, age, handicap, relation, marital status, religion or because all or part of the applicant's income is derived from public assistance programs.