Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Austin Habitat for Humanity!
We build and repair homes almost exclusively with volunteer labor. Whether you’re a skilled craftsperson or a novice who has never picked up a hammer, building with Habitat can be a life-changing experience both for you and our homeowners. Don’t worry, if you don’t know how to build a house or repair a home…we’ll teach you everything you need to know!
We are currently scheduling volunteer teams for March through July.
New Home Construction:
- Austin Habitat for Humanity is building 30 new homes in 2013.
- We build Tuesday through Saturday.
- Shifts run 8 am - 4 pm.
- Age Limits: All volunteers on the work site must be 16 years old or older – no exceptions due to Federal Labor Laws. Volunteers 16-17 years old are allowed to participate in construction, but cannot get on the roof or operate power tools. They must have one adult supervisor over 21 per 4 youth.
- Individuals needing to complete court ordered community service cannot fulfill their hours on a jobsite. They are however welcome to volunteer in our ReStore.
- Austin Habitat for Humanity is repairing 30 homes in 2013.
- Home Repair volunteer opportunities are most commonly on Saturdays, but special arrangements can be made for sponsoring groups.
- Shifts run 8 am to 4 pm.
- Age Limits: All volunteers on the work site must be 18 years old or older.
Austin Habitat homeowners work side-by-side with volunteers as they work off their sweat equity hours. Each has qualified due to substandard or cost-burdensome housing. They put down a small amount of cash and work off the rest of the down payment building others’ homes before we start their homes. After our amazing volunteers (you) build the homes, our homeowners buy them from Austin Habitat at 0 percent interest on a 30-year mortgage. The money from the mortgages goes back into our mission of providing affordable homeownership opportunities as well as home repair and housing counseling.
Austin Habitat for Humanity's programs are truly a hand up, not a hand out. We couldn't do it without your help and remember, you and your teams don't need any skills or tools onsite. We'll teach you everything you need to know...and it's fun. Here is one of our sponsors, Realty Austin, changing lives, working hard, having fun and reminding our homeowners, "Don't Stop Believin'!"
We look forward to seeing you onsite!